This page will give a brief overview of the electrical requirements for your Spa needs.
- All 220v spas require a 3 or 4 wire connection from your main circuit breaker panel.
- There must be a GFCI disconnect breaker panel at least 5′ from spa and within line of site of spa.
- Most spas will run effectively on a 50amp 2 pole main circuit breaker. Some spa manufacturers require a 60amp breaker.
Although some manufacturers state their spas can use 8 guage wiring for a 50amp circuit, we recommend 6 gauge wiring on all 50/60 amp installations. Below is a chart suggesting proper wire sizing for different breaker applications.
Breaker Amperage Wire Size 20 12 gauge 30 10 gauge 40 8 gauge 50 6 gauge 60 6 gauge
- If a 50amp breaker application is used, some manufacturers state that if all pumps and/or blowers are running, the heater may be disabled temporarily until the pumps and/or blowers are reduced from high speed. In this instance you may notice a drop of 1-2 degrees in temperature. In most cases, manufacturers have designed their spas to recirculate motor heat preventing this occurance to happen.
- All wire should be installed in conduit, (rigid, pvc or flexible).